Rebuilding my TR2 after accident

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This weekend had 3 days , hurraay !!

so another update..

IMG_3648.JPG

Took the whole heater apart. Got rid of all the debris in the matrix. Now it feels like a modern "airco" when testing! !

IMG_3649.JPG

IMG_3650.JPG

IMG_3653.JPG

Always wanted to know how an engine feels??

IMG_3655.JPG

I'm a radiator...

IMG_3658.JPG

Cant wait to see the car painted !

IMG_3659.JPG

• 1 month later...

Minor update.

We have collected the body and the panels from blasting.

The body is now at the paintshop to do some last detailing and painting.

Still looking for the right color. Had a sample of hans kooy, but like to verify this to another tr2...

perhaps on the upcoming Dutch National Triumph Day...

edwin%2520097.JPG

edwin%2520099.JPG

edwin%2520104.JPG

Edited by EdwinTiben

Looking great Edwin! That has got to be the most comprehensive "accident repair" ever done!

Dan

P.S. I am sure your skilled helpers know this, but often there are very tight gaps (at least mine has) which become even tighter when the final paint is on. Sometimes a thinner layer of paint needs to be applied along certain gaps (i.e. the A post gap on your looks a little tight, and mine is tight there also).

• 1 month later...

Update !

Last weeks, apart from holidays we have been working on engine parts and prepping the body for the paintshop.

making progress now ! all the panels and bits'n'pieces are done, body is next, probably next tuesday.

The color is great, but its really difficult to photograph. in every type of light the shade differs from green to grey to blue to mint.

So in coming weeks we will build up and bring the car back to my home so i will finish the details, electrical, upholstery, etc. lots to do..!

IMG_4245.JPG

How about a nose job... the paintshop did a great job !

IMG_4239.JPG

The Ice Blue is really a weird color... In real life it looks green, on the picture, the nose looks a tad grey/brown, the wings on the top of the photo look greyish blue.

IMG_4240.JPG

IMG_4243.JPG

IMG_4242.JPG

IMG_4241.JPG

Look at the colors ! the wings against the wall look different than the wings on the ground look different than the part of the nose on the right edge of the photo.. very curious !

IMG_4247.JPG

IMG_4253.JPG

drilling holes to fit the extra rubber to avoid wet knees during rain. Was factoryfitted after ts5300 or so, but some tr2's were retrofitted with these.

IMG_4257.JPG

IMG_4252.JPG

IMG_4251.JPG

IMG_4249.JPG

The innerwings look different in height, but thats a picture thing :)

IMG_4248.JPG

At the paintshop. the bottomside is done, next week the top and interior !

IMG_4260.JPG

Everything is sorted out and cleaned, painted, new seals etc. Engine is not restored, worked fine before ;-)

IMG_4261.JPG

IMG_4262.JPG

More to find on: https://picasaweb.google.com/114762703913347384609/RestorationTriumphTR2?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Edited by EdwinTiben

Ok,

things are moving fast now !! we collected the body this morning from the paintshop.

First we have placed the engine on the chassis and finalized (well sort of..) the brake and fuel lines.

Then we brought the whole chassis to the paintshop and used it as a transport back to us.

Energy levels are sky high now because the results are great !

IMG_4296.JPG

IMG_4297.JPG

IMG_4298.JPG

IMG_4304.JPG

IMG_4305.JPG

IMG_4307.JPG

IMG_4308.JPG

IMG_4310.JPG

IMG_4311.JPG

IMG_4312.JPG

IMG_4313.JPG

IMG_4315.JPG

IMG_4316.JPG

IMG_4317.JPG

More pictures on: https://picasaweb.google.com/114762703913347384609/RestorationTriumphTR2

• 2 weeks later...

Havent been able to go the Arthur to do work to the car, so working at home at the interior trim.

It certainly was a h*ll of a job.. took me in total almost 15 hours (including waiting time to let the adhesive dry before marriage).

Love the hair blower. it made quite a difference in the way the material could be stretched around corners.

I let most of the covering for the steering column hole in place but stretched it so the stitchline follows the edges.

IMG_4372.JPG

IMG_4374.JPG

IMG_4378.JPG

IMG_4376.JPG

IMG_4375.JPG

IMG_4377.JPG

IMG_4380.JPG

IMG_4373.JPG

Edited by EdwinTiben

Wait till you get to covering the cappings behind the doors they are are tricky to get right.

Bob.

Yep dont you just love doing them. :wacko:

Stuart.

On an early car the trim is really tricky on the door cap due to lack of finishing button so the angle of the "star" leather end piece is a real fiddle so that the leather cover sits flat and doesn't sink. The draft excluders not being furflex but fabric covered fuel rubber hose present an equal challenge, the best of all is the "hockey sticks" particularly if you have to make them.

Edited by Rodbr