ignition timing

Could someone tell me what to set the ignition timing to with a timing light please

all i can find is info on static timing but i have fitted electronic ignition so i can't do the static thing

thyanks Ian

Hi Ian.

Yes start at 11 but with the ignition pack you will probably have to retard it a little untill you get rid of the pinking.

Try it up the road if it pinks retard a bit untill it stops..

Good luck Mark.

Get it idling as slow as you can, just above stalling, the set with the timing light to whatever the book value is and with vacuum advance and retard (if fitted) disconnected. Then road test and retard a bit if it pinks.

Alternatively turn the distributor for maximum idle speed, then back off a bit. Then road test as above.

Thanks for the info, its set at 11 at the mo

Poss bit of confusion on my part but when you read the manual there is nothing about setting the timing with a timing light only static, but when you look at a usa speck car there are two different settings. Which made me think the advance weights in the dizzy would throw the timing out if i used a timing light and i would have to set it slightly out to compensate.

ian

Ian, you are right - if you have a USA spec car, it will have a vacum retard capsule, not an advance. Some early 6's (I think), as well as 5's had both. Actually, the vacuum retard is designed to work only at tickover, so if you disconnect the vacuum line, and plug it (to stop it drawing air directly into the inlet manifold), it should work OK. If you leave it connected, then at tickover, you should be getting 4 degrees AFTER TDC.

Some electronic ignition sets will enable you to do a static timing. Mine does. Try looking up the instructions using Google.

Take care,

Austin