squeaks and leaks

I'm delighted to have joined the regsiter having recently acquired my 1973 TR6 (some 20 years since owning a mk3 GT6) and I just wanted to say hello and post a couple of quick questions..

I hope to join the Thames Valley group for a pint next month but in the meantime the TR is developing a squeak when changing gear at slow speeds or parking - I suspect it is the UJ's wearing out - does this sound likely? Also, the car has a pretty impressive range of oil leaks. I've had a look and a number of the sump bolts were wet with oil but there was quite a lot of oil even as far back as the gearbox - I'm hoping it's just the sump gasket. I'm not going to be able to undertake these jobs myself as I dont have the space in the garage currently. Can anyone recommend a garage reasonably local to Guildford/Surrey for this kind of work?

Thanks for any advice.

Alvin

Hi Alvin,

welcome to the forum.

The UJ's etc don;t normally squeak, they will clunk and bonk but not usually squeak.

Could be the trunnions on the front suspension, could be any of the rubber/poly bushes on the suspension.

Are all the wheel nuts done up tight!!.

Oil leaks are a perenial problem. The engine/gearbox can leak from anywhere. The best approach is to clean all the oil off everything then go for a drive and check regularly to see where it is coming from. A few areas - front of engine crankshaft seal, rear of engine crankshaft seal, rocker cover, sump gasket, front of gearbox, back of gear box.

See you at TVG

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Thanks Roger.

All very helpful and a few things to check. I also thought the squeak might have been the exhaust mounts as it seems to be coming from behind me but i couldn't recreate it from under the car - could well be the suspension bushes as you say.

Look forward to seeing you at TVG - probably in October.

Alvin

Welcome to TR6 ownership Alan,

I don't wish to alarm you with your new acquistion but I had a squeak on my car, sounded as though I had a family of mice living in the rear of the car, audible only at low speeds, driving around in traffic in 2nd gear. It turned out to be a crack across the rear suspension bridge, around the differential pin (drivers side front one if I remember correctly) , it's a regular weak spot.

At the time I got Cox & Buckles to weld it up and strengthen the pin supports by boxing them in. Best to check this as if left for too long this problem can make a repair very difficult.

Hopefully, in your case its something else, maybe trailling arm or damper related?

I'm not far from Guildford, down the A3 near Hindhead, if you'd like to put you car over my inspection pit for a good look you are welcome to pop down. Just PM me.

Mark.

Hi Alvin, you have a PM. Mark.

• 1 month later...

Pleased to hear you have fixed the squeak Alvin.

Happy TRing.

Mark.