Greetings

I am currently reassembling my TR4 engine after an overhaul and am having a problem fitting the camshaft. When I slide it into the block it seems to go in too far which means the end float when the end plate bearing is bolted up is about half an inch!!!! Also when you look into the block you can see that with the shaft pushed in as far as it will go the bearings and the bearing surfaces on the shaft don't line up. Any thoughts?

Signed Desperate of Milton Keynes

I think it'll be correct with the timing chain sprocket attached.

or more precise:

If the chain wheel is installed the float of the cam is set.

• 2 years later...

I have resurrected this post as I have finally got round to putting together the box of bits that I bought ages ago and which I am hoping will soon be a working engine in my rebuild. Like the OP, I was surprised that the camshaft doesn't seem to have much controlling the end float. Having read the replies, am I right in thinking that the back face of the gear wheel bears directly on the front face of the bearing? If so, what stops it grinding itself to pieces? There are some wear marks on the inside face of the gear, but not as significant as I would have thought.

I am guessing that the teeth on the gear wheel shouldn't be too pointy either?

Cheers, Dave

That's the way it looks to me Dave. Other than the skew drive for the distributor there's no end to end loading on the camshaft so I suppose that's why there's not much wear on the rear face of the sprocket. Presumably the distributor drive doesn't produce any end loading either.