Spark Plug Gap .025 - Could somebody please confirm?

Hi

Standard plug gap is 0.025 inch but some electronic ignition systems recommend wider gaps.

Rog

This is n ow getting interesting! We were attempting to set up the Strombergs a couple of evenings ago but obviously wanted to get the timing correct first. I have no Contact breakers but have an electronic unit fitted instead (not sure what make) and a nice gold coloured ign coil. So does this mean that the plug gap should be slightly larger and what should the timing settings be? We started off at 4 degrees as per the Haynes manual but soon realised this wasnt correct. After 30 mins of 'tinkering' we could only get it to idle smoothly at 1100 rpm with no pinking on a gentle road test (engine running in!) but decided that the carbs need to come of and have a good clean up along with the butterflies etc. but still puzzled by the timing settings....anybody???

Hi Simon,

the little module in the dizzy is not electronic as such. It's a solid state switch that simply replaces the cb's

If your carbs are dicky then setting a smooth tickover will be difficult.

The mixture will affect the tickover speed. if it is weak it will tickover faster - I think.

Roger

FWIW:

The static advance given in the manual is based on the burn characteristics of 1960s fuel, different from now. I don't know what my timing is in numbers, but my engine runs fine on standard octane unleaded/no additives. This means easy smooth idle and rapid pickup all through rev range with no fluffs. Pulls evenly in top from idle to redline, no pinking and so on. I set my ignition as I always have - and as advocated here numerous times - by setting revs at about 2500 and rotating dizzy for fastest speed, then clicking back a bit on the vernier.

Mike

Following on from this does anybody have a definative guide / readings for timing on a standard engine with a Petronix solid state thing in the dizzy running on standard Stromberg 175's.

ie. timing at 1000 rpm, 2000 rpm, 3000 rpm etc etc.

I'm just aware that the timing needs to be sorted before we can set to work on the carbs.

As a note, When i shut my car off yesterday it 'ran on' for about 5 seconds!

any help appreciated