Replacing the panel light rheostat

My rheostat on the dashboard really isn't up to much, so this winter a small job I've lined up is to simply remove the rheostat and connect the wires together, but what to do with the hole in the dashboard.

One guy I know has fitted a small downward facing light which operates when either doors are opened. It works same way as the interior tunnel light, but my question is this.

Has anyone else tried this, and if so where did they obtain the light unit from.

Any replies gratefully acknowledged. :D

Richard

I joined the wires together and left the switch in situ, but if you particulaly want a light the late MGBs had a circular unit on the dashboard that wouldn't look out of place.

Another alternative is a starter button, TRGB offer a kit.

Ron

Thanks, Ron your'e a gem.

I was sure I'd seen a small black light unit before but never thought about the MGB interior light.

Cheers mate

Great idea Ron, but where can you get these lights - MGOC?, or look out on eBay - do you know what the part no. is?   Just had that £12.50 dash (instruments are excellent) arrive complete with both indicator and hazard flasher units, will post part nos./specs. on the "Hazard" thread.

Speaking of rheostats, cant we fix these things ?. I have yet to open one up but does anyone know what is in there ?, is it resistance wire or a carbon-like track as found on a radio potentiometer ?. I picked up a used one the other day and checked its resistance with an ohmmeter and there was no change while rotating the spindle.. My old one sort of works through part of its travel but has several dead spots. A new replacement is just shy of $70.00..

Stan

Jon

Had another look this morning the light unit would be ideal on a TR6 dash, it would look as if it's meant to be there.

It's about 1.25" dia made of bakelite and swivels to direct the light where you want. Only downside might be if you have to enlarge the hole in the dash to fit it.

I don't know what the part number is and I would doubt if it's available new but there are several large MG breakers that would have SH ones. I haven't bought parts for the MG for a long while [touch wood] but when I last did it was the MGB Hive 01945 700500 that I used. Mech Spec are another that does 2nd hand parts 01777 818283. It is the unit fitted to the late rubber bumper cars, the earlier chrome bumper cars had a completely different one.

Might give this a try this winter myself!

Ron

Jonlar/Ron,

I checked out the Moss catalogue and the light unit on the MGB will set you back around £20, so I shall try a few breakers first before I commit myself.

Thanks Richard.   Well, I suppose having spent £156 on a walnut burr dash (and got away with it - my wife likes the look of it!! - maybe could've got away with the door caps as well?), spoil the ship etc.!   On the latest dash with instruments bought off eBay, there doesn't seem to be a voltage stabiliser - anyone any ideas, I assume the instruments tolerate voltage variations?   I'll try the instruments with a 9v battery, and see what scale deflection I get.

You will need a voltage stabiliser to get sensible readings out of the fuel and temp gauges.  Without one the temp gauge will read hot, not sure what the fuel gauge will do.

BTW they are weird devices. they switch rapidly between about 8v and 14v giving a sort of 'average' I suppose.