Seat Bases - Foam or Spring?

I'm after a bit of advice - nothing new there then!

I am at the stage of needing to decide what type of seat base to buy for my TR3a - Foam or Spring.

In terms of cost there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of difference, but is one sort much better than the other in terms of comfort or practicality?

I'm not too bothered by originality because once they are covered no one will know what is underneath. It's a case of what is better.

All contributions gratefully received.

Rgds Ian

I have been pondering this too, I bought at Stoneleigh some new spring frames, but they seem too springy ( to high a spring rate ) so I decided when I start to assemble the seat with foam and wadding that I would try and dampen the rate by putting foam on edge between the springs, with a bit of trial and error build a cushion that does not fight the suspension of the car. If I dont like it I will be changing the drivers side anyway to foam, simply use a piece of plywood not too thick to tack the cover over the foam. So firm foam for about 70% of the cushion and a softer top layer just like a memory foam mattress top to make a comfy and firm seat.

So you can see I'm a bit undecided!!

John Worthing

Hi Ian & John ~

Take my advice, I fitted foam bases to the seats of my TR3A because when they had spring bases you'd bounce up and down dangerously! Spring bases seem to cost the earth!

John, I too had the foam bases constructed as per your set up.

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

I fitted foam bases because the existing spring bases were convex in shape, too firm, and offered little lateral support whilst driving. John Sykes at TR Bitz had them made to his design for me, and not that expensive either.

Good luck

Ian

The springs are fine really comfy and surprise surprise suit the car. Am I the only person on this forum that thinks these cars should be returned to as near original as possible? If I wanted a great suspension and brilliant steering I would have bought a fiesta!

TuRK has still got it's original spring seat bases which still have the factory labels tied to the springs! - of course they have sagged, and some of the springs have broken but they are really comfortable. So when the time comes I shall have them reconstructed using as many of the original springs as possible and hang the cost, so you can keep your foam which tends to sit too high in my opinion.

Cheers

Andrew

On our 2 the passengers seat was rebuilt with the best springs out of both bases as my wife has joint problems and foam was far too hard but the drivers is foam as it meant I could lower it about an inch. I was given two brand new 'aftermarket' bases and gave them away again (I wonder who has them now). As was said at the time it made you feel 'like zebedee on acid' when sitting on them.

Nigel (with TS952).

Between 1958 and 1972, I drove my TR3A 80,350 miles, much of that in rallies on gravel roads in Quebec and Ontario. By this time, many of the springs in my original seats were broken and the seating area was sagging almost so I was sitting on the floor of the seat pan.

When I decided to restore the car from 1987 to 1990, I ordered a new interior from Jim Hawkins when he was still in Witney, Oxon. He also included some extra springs and told me how to spiral the new ones up into the old ones. I re-used the original spring box and jute top padding and fitted enough of the new springs up there to give the right feel and support. After spiralling the new springs into place, I cut off the excess and turned the bottom ends to encircle the bottom ends of existing springs and some cross-rods. Since 1990, I have driven another 108,000 miles and the seats still feel and support me the way they did in 1990 - and also like in 1958 for that matter.

About 5 years ago, I was asked to sit in the driver's seat of a TR4 after the owner had put new foam padding into his seat cushions. They padding was so high, I couldn't slide my legs under the steering wheel. I have never had this happen with my TR3A.

BTW, I measure 5 feet - 10 inches tall and weigh 160 pounds (11.4 stone).

..............I was given two brand new 'aftermarket' bases and gave them away again (I wonder who has them now).

Don't worry Nigel they haven't been flogged on eBay - they are still sitting in my garage loft space, the springs of which will be used to repair TuRK's seats when the time comes. But if that is not possible then they'll be offered on here as a freebie again.

Cheers

Andrew

If you look at the difference between the wire gauge of an original seat base and the repros around now its very easy to see why you end up sitting "On" the seat rear than "In" it. They are so much heavier gauge and will throw you out of the seat on the slightest bump. A lot of forties or fifties cars had spring base seats so next time you are autojumbling keep your eyes open for any scruffy seats or even old spring mattresses and do like Don has done weave some into your old bases as they do soak up a lot more bounce than foam does.

Stuart.

Many thanks for all the replies guys - it is clear that there is no consistent view, I read it as:

Undecided - 1

Foam - 4

Springs - 5

In addition, there were a couple of suggestions to weave additional springs into whatever bases I already have.

This last isn't really an option as my existing bases are well and truly shot to bits and rusty as hell.

I am waiting for some prices from suppliers before I make my decision but once again, thks for all the replies.

Rgds Ian

The new repro spring bases I have fro my TR3 are awful. Too hard, too high and no sideways support. All too much like a jelly on a plate (that's jello for our colonial readers)

I have not yet rebuilt my seats as I am so pleased with the bodge I did years ago of stuffing bits of foam into the knackered spring cushions. You can work it about to get just the right support in the best place.

My preferred seat cushion type is the early TR4 type - due in part to the NOS blue leather early TR4 seats less cushions, I bought from Pete Buckles years ago at 51 London Road, Tooting. I did have to re-drill the base for the seat slides though. The cushion is lower than the orig TR3.

My brother has all foam cushions in one of his cars and they are certainly nicer than the repro spring bases, but still lack lateral support.

So my choice is original spring types (if you can get good ones) or bodge up knackered ones with bits of foam or finally an all foam cushion.

Cheers

Peter W

PS I guess the issue with repro spring bases is that the re-manufactured ones are just copied from other repro items, product that was not 100% to start with, rather than from genuine originals. I am sure the re-manufacturers will quite rightly jump down my throat on this issue if I am wrong.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
  • 5 years later...

Dear TR fellows,

I would like to replace the spring packages of a TR2 with foam. However I cannot find any supplier. Can any of you inform me what supplier I should contact? In Europe?

Thanks in advance!

Niklas

Springs here. They're well tuned to the suspension of the car, and as a big and tall driver, they work well for me.

There are various reproductions out there with different qualities. Here are a few photos of (1) modern reproduction from John Skinner & sons, (2) modern reproduction from The Roadster Factory, and (3) my car's original springs. TRFs are nearly identical to original.

i-XpwcTrc-X3.jpg

i-tX5xR9Q-X3.jpg

Skinner:

i-vXvtL2V-X3.jpg

TRF:

i-bJ3zfsq-X3.jpg

Original:
i-ZL3vhPK-X3.jpg

I just had s look at the 2 sets of seats that came with my car.3a

One set has a recess in the base and a quite thin cushion and the other set has a flat base and twice the thickness cushion

Both sets are spring bases

So what have i got as they all came as a job lot when i bought the car..non runner

Any ideas which ones are for what

Thanks

Tony

Springs are fairly comfy, but do not hold you in position when cornering.

If you dont need to keep original look go for bucket seats

Bob

I just had s look at the 2 sets of seats that came with my car.3a

One set has a recess in the base and a quite thin cushion and the other set has a flat base and twice the thickness cushion

Both sets are spring bases

So what have i got as they all came as a job lot when i bought the car..non runner

Any ideas which ones are for what

Thanks

Tony

Tony,

The seat pan with the sinking is early TR4.

The flat seat pan is TR3A/3B.

I will add my name to the 'foam' option, although I haven't tried it.

What I HAVE tried is the new Moss seat springs option and, as

KeithW says, it's like being a jelly on a plate.

(I think it's the springs, not my bum!)

AlanR

I have a set of Jim Hawkins trim including seats rebuilt by him in the late 80s, either to original spec or slightly uprated as Don described. Still very comfortable and even Lynda doesn't complain (at least not about the seats). I can never understand why so much current repro and uprated stuff for our cars is so poor compared to the original or earlier replacements. Much of it is so basic but the skills and craftsmanship is disappearing.

• 5 years later...

Sorry to drag up this old thread again, but over Christmas I changed my cheap bum hugger bucket seats for  a pair of original type seats with new leather covers from Aldridge, and new spring seat bases from Moss. Big mistake and £1000 quid down the drain. The seats themselves look good, happy with the way they look in black with white piping to match the rest of the interior, and the covers themselves are good, but the spring bases are diabolical. 

There was a dry day on Friday and I managed to get the car out for the first time . As others have said they are like sitting on a Jelly, with what feels like 3 inches of side to side movement on corners, meaning I had to brace my knees against the door and the tunnel going round even gentle bends. Also I sit probably 2 inches higher in the car now which has good and bad points, it makes the car easier to get in and out of when the hood is down, but with the hood up I can barely get my head under the door top section of the hood.

I cannot live with it as it is, and I think my only way to resolve the issue is to go for foam bases. I might have a go at these myself, after all it is only a case of cutting some 1/2 inch ply for the base board, and then I am thinking probably 3 inches of a firm high density foam and 2 inches of a less dense foam glued to the top of that, and then use my existing scrim and seat cover.

Looking at other pictures  on here , it is clear that the originals used many more thinner springs than the current re-pros, apart from those of TRF, and one picture I saw showed the springs apparently tied diagonally with twine, so maybe this was a way of reducing sideways movement.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has bought foam bases, or has made their own, with any tips.

Cheers, Ralph

It is possible to wire the springs down to reduce the height and the "wobble" as well, makes them very firm but mind your fingers when doing it.

Stuart.