What do you think?

So finally got around to trial fitting my black dash. I think it looks ok with the chrome bezels, your thoughts? (stands back and awaits the wrath of the "purists" :rolleyes: ) Steve.

Steve,

I think it looks ok too.

But it may be the picture the lower crash pads look greyer than the rest.

Try this Black trim wax, not necessarily from this supplier.

http://compare.ebay....sbar&adtype=pla

No silicons in it, and its a wax, it will transform the blackness if you know what i mean.

I had considered a black dash in the past but was going to do it in a shiny glossy black perspex, never got round to it

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

You know what - I actually think that looks quite classy. Sometimes wonder whether the wood looks out of place on 'our' cars....... says he with a highly polished walnut dash!

Mike

"Sometimes wonder whether the wood looks out of place on 'our' cars"

Damn right, of course it does.

A sports car dash needs a lick of paint or a vinyl skin, not a surplus slab of lacquered tree . . . . and timber topped doors look even dafter.

Fill your drawing room or dining room with what's left of the rainforests if you must, but we aren't driving round in coachbuilt gin palaces.

The lumber look became surplus 80 years ago, cars didn't need carpenters any more.

OK, agreed there's Morgan, but then every rule has an idiot exception.

Cheers,

Alec

Mixed feelingsp on my part. I really don't like the burr walnut dashes but Im not keen on the black either. There have been various Triumphs with black dashes though so it's not out of keeping. I'm not sure if it will effect resale value but hey, it's your car.

The only thing in TR interiors I hate more than walnut dashes are wood rimmed wheels. I've got one on mine and still havent got around to changing it.

Don't listen to anyone else though as we should all go with what we like.

Not bad at all... Though I still like the original 'off-white' painted dash of the early TR4... especially with the very early Ali small instrument mounting in the centre!

Brgds

Thanks for the positive comments guys, a couple of points:

Guy, the dash pads are all new and from the same supplier, I can only think it`s the light playing tricks that make the bottom ones appear "grey".

Tage, yes it was simply rubbed down to remove all the lacquer and painted.

Peter, the finish is a "crackle" black paint (made by Hycote) applied over the sanded wooden dash. This was my second attempt as the first time I did not stick to the temperature recommendations supplied by the paint manufacturer! The finish came out patchy and uneven in gloss. So it was rubbed back to wood and applied again, the second time was more satisfactory apart from a small patch on the top right hand corner of the glovebox lid. I`ll redo that in the summer. Like all these things patience is a virtue in getting a good finish, Cheers, Steve.

Neil,

The bezels are the standard chrome ones fitted to CR/CF cars from late `72 onwards. I would imagine if you want to change to chrome it`s either new instruments or take them apart and buy/fit new ones, I presume yours are black? Steve.

Nice touch Steve, I like that a lot ;)

Might do the same at some point in the future,good skills fella :D