TR3A fuel line from tank to fuel pump

Looking at the spare parts book and the Moss web site they both show the fuel line connecting on the right side of the fuel tank, crossing the chassis and proceeding down the left hand frame rail. The fuel line is in two parts joined by a coupler.

Looking at my TR3A it has the fuel line connecting at the bottom of the LHS of the fuel tank (there is a plug in the hole on the bottom the RHS of the tank). There is a short (18 inches ?) section of metal pipe that goes into a 6 inch long section of rubber hose that is connected to a long metal pipe that goes all the way to the fuel pump. The metal pipe is (was) connected to the fuel pump by another short section of rubber hose.

Either something changed in the TR3A (a post 60k car) or my fuel line configuration is way off. I need to replace the fuel line and probably the tank but I;m unsure what to order for the fuel line..

Stan

Mine is like you described: 2 pieces of fuel hose, clamped down with special fuel hose clamps. Mind you I've 'flared' the fuel pipe ends to be sure that the hose and clamp are securely behind the flared end. I've seen a TR with a fuel filter at the place where the first fuel hose is positioned. I don't know if that's a great idea, though: you can not easily reach that filter!

The fule pipe runs next to the long LHS chassis rail. the fuel line is routed through a few holes. Make sure you have suitable grommits before you route the fuel pipe through the hole. A missing grommit is a MOT failure overhere in Holland.

Menno

Stan, original pre 60000 tanks had the fuel outlet on the bottom RHS and drain plug in the middle. Post 60000 tanks had the fuel outlet in the middle.

Your fuel outlet on the RHS of the tank is not original.

There was no rubber hose at the tank end - they had solid pipe from the tank to below the fuel pump. There was a connector to join the two lengths of fuel line just forward of the rear shocker mount bracket.

All you could do is order the larger post 60000 tank and fuel lines to suit. I think the fuel lines are supplied as "bend to suit", so they can be adapted to either tank.

Regards,

Viv.

Stan, original pre 60000 tanks had the fuel outlet on the bottom RHS and drain plug in the middle. Post 60000 tanks had the fuel outlet in the middle.

Your fuel outlet on the RHS of the tank is not original.

There was no rubber hose at the tank end - they had solid pipe from the tank to below the fuel pump. There was a connector to join the two lengths of fuel line just forward of the rear shocker mount bracket.

All you could do is order the larger post 60000 tank and fuel lines to suit. I think the fuel lines are supplied as "bend to suit", so they can be adapted to either tank.

Regards,

Viv.

Viv, my fuel outlet is on the LHS of the tank. On the RHS at about the same location is a plug. There are no other visible connections as seen from under the car (I have not yet removed the tank). I just ordered a new tank for a post 60k car so I'll see what I get..

Perhaps my fuel outlet is closer to the middle than on the LHS, hard to tell from this poor picture:

DSC_0014.jpg

The fuel outlet fitting is (and always has been) in the center of the fuel tank on my early 1958 TR3A (TS 27489 LO). Neither has ever been changed. Over on the RHS of my tank is a drain plug on the bottom.

On the late TR3A (TS 81552 L) that I restored, the fuel fitting for the outlet was near one end of the bottom of the tank and the drain plug on the other bottom end.

Stan,

The fuel outlet on my post 60k tank is on the LHS. It is directly above a large hole in the boot floor.

The fuel pipe that I was supplied with was a single length that ran from rear to front where I have installed a fuel filter and a modern fuel tap very similar to the arrangement that Menno has used.

Rgds Ian

Looking at the spare parts book and the Moss web site they both show the fuel line connecting on the right side of the fuel tank, crossing the chassis and proceeding down the left hand frame rail. The fuel line is in two parts joined by a coupler.

Looking at my TR3A it has the fuel line connecting at the bottom of the LHS of the fuel tank (there is a plug in the hole on the bottom the RHS of the tank). There is a short (18 inches ?) section of metal pipe that goes into a 6 inch long section of rubber hose that is connected to a long metal pipe that goes all the way to the fuel pump. The metal pipe is (was) connected to the fuel pump by another short section of rubber hose.

Either something changed in the TR3A (a post 60k car) or my fuel line configuration is way off. I need to replace the fuel line and probably the tank but I;m unsure what to order for the fuel line..

Stan

Hi Stan: Here is a photo from underneath the Grey Lady ( 1959 - TS58476 LO). Hope it helps. :)

small_DSC05812-R1.jpg

Stan, I've transposed fuel tank files from the early and late 3A rebuilds I had running side by side.

Both cars were Signal Red. :huh:

Regards,

Viv.

An easy mistake Viv, I bought a blue car to avoid confusion with the red car :rolleyes:

So I think I am all set with the fuel tank and a new tank is in the mail. I'm still unsure about what fuel line to order as the supplier web sites are only showing the old style plumbing. Perhaps this is a one size fits all deal and as long as the connector is the same and the pipe is long enough it is just a matter of bending to suit..

Stan