Hi Stuart,

I'm not geared up for lead loading.  I appreciate it is a better way to go, but I'm hopeless at it.

Today the   MIG welder was not  playing fair and the weld quality was poor.  Then all of a sudden it was all going OK.

The good welds have less metal in them than the pigeon sh*t welds.

Roger

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, Heavens above it passed the MOT with a very badly painted rear wing.   Had an interesting day today. I needed to spray the  rear wing from the TR4. I did this last week and it wen

Hi Folks, well that was quite prophetic !!!!!!  Lockdown on March 23rd certainly threw a spanner in the works, So after 8 months sleep the Blue Racer has risen and having risdid is now at ho

Hi Roger, I recently had the "opportunity" (not) to do some bodywork on and respray my rear wing. I bought a very cheap (customer return) small garden gazebo on ebay and put it up in my garage. I

Posted Images

6 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Stuart,

I'm not geared up for lead loading.  I appreciate it is a better way to go, but I'm hopeless at it.

Today the   MIG welder was not  playing fair and the weld quality was poor.  Then all of a sudden it was all going OK.

The good welds have less metal in them than the pigeon sh*t welds.

Roger

Next time your down here give me a bit of advance notice and I’ll teach you.

Stuart

• 3 months later...

Hi Folks,

I've been very busy on the car but time flies by so fast it looks like I have been doing not a lot.

So, I have made the bottom of the boot lid look nice and even with a sensible gap.

I then had to fill in to make it all lovely and smooth with a decent compound curve.

That took some time. I actually had too much filler and had to take the irritating decision to cut a fair amount out.  It looked no different when I had finished

but it was lighter.

Then it was time for painting. I can't spray paint. I do have a spray gun but it is best left in its box.

So I use a #3 trowel and an icing spatula. This gives an interesting appearance, but never fret as my screeding float gets it almost there.

Sadly, like my spraying, orange peel is never far away.  When it eventually dries I attack it with enormous quantities of 1200 grit wet&dry - wetter the better. 

When it was flatted it actually looked good (through dark glasses (very dark)) On close inspection there was micro orange peel going on - so more Rubbing

& flatting.  I ended up with a reasonable finish that had a number of very tiny craters - I filed these calderas with paint from a very fine broom.

These then needed flatting.  It looked pretty good. Foolishly I decided to trowel on another coat. If it is at all possible this had a worse finish

than the first coat that would have won awards in a pebble dashing compo.

So more rubbing   This is when I found out that Halfords have changed their W&D supplier. They now manage  to spray the carborundumnum grains onto toilet paper - it is a truly awful product (what happened to 3M paper.

So more rubbing down.  You know when to stop rubbing, it is well before you can see the grey undercoat - bu99er.

I went around all the little imperfections touching them up and then rubbing down - again, again, again.

This afternoon I gave the boot lid a quick spray touch up on a couple of areas that were a little thin. These came up well. I didn't use the #3 trowel as this was delicate. 

Tomorrow I shall rub this down. If all is well  Then I will rub down with #1500 grit.  And then possibly start polishing with G3 etc.

Oh what joy

Roger 

Hi Folks

since last week I have been rubbing down a selection of painting flaws - I didn't know there were so many.

Having got a  very good  finish with 1500 grit the 2000 showed up a couple of flaws.

OK back to the 1500, more rubbing. This was repeated a few times until I had rubbed into the under coat -Doh!

Start again.  Touch up the paint very carefully.

Rub down with 1200,then 1500, then 2000. All going well

Rub down with the G3 - this brings up other flaws that were not seen previously. Rub  down with 1500, 2000 & G3.

Rub down with the G10 and soem more oddities show themselves

Back to the 1500, 2000, G3, G10.

Polish with Autoglym and 99% looks very good -  but.  There were a couple of patches of what I would call micro porosity 

Both patches have required to be sprayed over.  Lots of time spent trying to remove the micropores.

I have now run out of paint and after many years cleaning my little spray gun I have gone and lost a tiny spring to fitsinside on the needle.

Instead of fishing on Monday I'll be sorting out a few issues

Roger

Hi Roger,

I admire your perseverance, and ability  to keep the humor. Sue must like it when you are sanding, painting, sanding…

Looking forward to some pictures.

Best regards,
Waldi

2 hours ago, Waldi said:

Hi Roger,

I admire your perseverance, and ability  to keep the humor. Sue must like it when you are sanding, painting, sanding…

Looking forward to some pictures.

Best regards,
Waldi

No I don’t, I have to occasionally go to make sure he is still alive out there……………..

21 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Folks

since last week I have been rubbing down a selection of painting flaws - I didn't know there were so many.

Having got a  very good  finish with 1500 grit the 2000 showed up a couple of flaws.

OK back to the 1500, more rubbing. This was repeated a few times until I had rubbed into the under coat -Doh!

Start again.  Touch up the paint very carefully.

Rub down with 1200,then 1500, then 2000. All going well

Rub down with the G3 - this brings up other flaws that were not seen previously. Rub  down with 1500, 2000 & G3.

Rub down with the G10 and soem more oddities show themselves

Back to the 1500, 2000, G3, G10.

Polish with Autoglym and 99% looks very good -  but.  There were a couple of patches of what I would call micro porosity 

Both patches have required to be sprayed over.  Lots of time spent trying to remove the micropores.

I have now run out of paint and after many years cleaning my little spray gun I have gone and lost a tiny spring to fitsinside on the needle.

Instead of fishing on Monday I'll be sorting out a few issues

Roger

If you spray on a light guide coat from a rattle can before flatting this shows the imperfections and helps avoiding removing to much of the top coat.

Alan.

33 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Alan,

thanks for that.  I did that when rubbing down the filler before painting.

Perhaps a good idea for the painted coats as well.

Roger

You cant really use a guide coat on top coats as you wouldnt want to spray a different colour on top.You just need to get enough on smoothly so it will take flatting off. I presume your using a block to hold the paper on Roger?

Stuart.

12 hours ago, stillp said:

Ah, isn't love a wonderful thing!

Pete

I'm surprised that he is not locked in the garage after his comment last week.

37 minutes ago, stillp said:

Sue said she goes to check if he's still alive. She didn't actually say she lets him out!

Pete

:P

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

less of this mirth

The painting of the boot lid continues. This weeks escaped was on Monday.

Prior to the week-end I hadpainted the boot(again, again) and had rubbed it down with 1200 grit. This revealed a number of of low spots.

I filled these in with paint. They just needed rubbing down (OMG)

One Monday I started the simple task of rubbing but needed more Wet&Dry.  Off to the paint shop and got 1/2 dozen sheets.

I was impressed how easily these paint spots were being rubbed down. I blended the spot area to match the surrounding. 

One spot was rubbed a little enthusiastically and I was into primer.  Bu99er.

At this point I looked on the back of theW&D paper just to see what was written on it where upon I noticed it wasn't 1200 grit but 240 grit.

Ooops!

Tuesday morning I decided to repaint the whole lid.  This actually came up very nice - but still needed another rub down.

Today, using 1200 grit, I started the rubbing down (again, again)   So far  all is going well . Maybe polishing tomorrow.

What could possibly go wrong

Roger 

Note, there are two sorts of "2K" aerosols. Ones that you use as a normal aerosol , & real 2 pack types where you have to pull, & twist a ring under the can to break open the hardener capsule inside.  I have used the latter in clear laquer form for a few applications, it is good stuff.

Bob

I doubt the correct colour blue would be available in a can. Don’t forget it has to be matched exactly to the rest of the car.