• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, Heavens above it passed the MOT with a very badly painted rear wing.   Had an interesting day today. I needed to spray the  rear wing from the TR4. I did this last week and it wen

Hi Folks, well that was quite prophetic !!!!!!  Lockdown on March 23rd certainly threw a spanner in the works, So after 8 months sleep the Blue Racer has risen and having risdid is now at ho

Hi Roger, I recently had the "opportunity" (not) to do some bodywork on and respray my rear wing. I bought a very cheap (customer return) small garden gazebo on ebay and put it up in my garage. I

Posted Images

My door wouldn't close because the triangular filler plate at the bottom of the B post clashed with the tube rubber seal on my door seal

simple I just cut away the tube over that bit of the door

Worked for me

Michael

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

regarding the door rubber trim, life got in the way and it still needs doing,

The weather has now changed and is too cold to work outside.

I achieved my goal this year in fitting the convertible roof and tonneau. The roof looks stunning. No extra holes around the LtD fasteners :) .

The tonneau fitted very well and after a deep clean and polish it has come up well - not bad for a 50 odd year old lump of vinyl. B)

The car is now in its winter home until the sun warms us all up and the trees are back in green leaf (August 2018 :P )

Roger

I have almost got my engine together despite brilliantly setting up the cam timing to 104 before TDC , now 104 after TDC. So I can push the blue racer off the trailer on to the drive and drive the 4A onto the trailer then push the blue car into the garage to receive its engine and gearbox

Thus with overalls scarf and hat and thermals if necessary I can put it together with light and radio 4 (TMS if available)

It can be done

Michael

• 8 months later...

Hi Folks,

what a funny old year.

I managed to get the TR4 from its hibernation garage round to the house. - that was in April.

Apart form pushing in and out of the garage to do work in their I have not done anything to it.

I am waiting (and waiting and waiting) for new upholstery and the long wait has taken the wind out of my sails.

Not a complete waste of time as I have been working on the 4A.

Last week I booked an MOT appointment for the 'BlueRacer' for today. Yesterday I thought it a good idea to try and start her.

This was more than a good idea. It was very reluctant to start and run smoothly.

Had a fiddle here and a fiddle there but it was running like a pig.

Took the plugs out and gave them a good clean. It ran better but a timing light showed that #1 plug was still missing badly.

Fitted new leads and cap (Moss Cobalt) and Champion L87Y plugs. It now runs like a dream.

The timing light also showed it was way out.

I then noticed that the steering column was wobbling all over the place (strange what hibernation can do)

Removed the clamp nearest the dash. The only thing that I could find wrong was that the felt in the lower clamp was crushed rather thin.

I added another piece to it to build it up and hay presto - I have a stiff column :rolleyes:

Why do you have to dismantle all the car just to do a small job.

Took it for a test run and I was very impressed with the pulling power of the engine.

It passed the MOT. No Advisories - if they still do them.

This afternoon I shall have a look at the pax door to see why it wasn't closing properly late last year.

Roger

Hi Bo b,

in many ways it was a gimme - I've only done apprx 10 miles since this time last year.

But then knowing what the rubber parts are like anything could have happened.

At least it spurred me on to sort the engine out once and for all (until next week).

Roger

Roger

" Rubber parts " and MOT , mmmmh.

I rebuilt my front suspension, getting towards the end of my resto. Did the rewiring , interior trimming ,seat refurb , hood , tonneau fitting , etc . Went to do the very first pre MOT check and found the suspension rubbers had perished …. mileage zero ! I was not a happy bunny to put it mildly. I got good at stripping down the suspension and rebuilding it though.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

when putting the car to bad last autumn I realised that I had the seat upholstered with red piping and the rest of the upholstery in white piping.

Doh!!!

So I got the upholstery body parts redone in red piping and it looks good.

It turned up last week and I have been fiddling around with it.

Now it is rather late in the day but I have spotted that the hood frame has got some sort of twist in it.

I actually spotted it last year but I was prepared to let it go then but this is another year, new script.

I have attached some pics to show what is happening. I can;t for the life of me see an easy fix - bear in mind the NEW hood fits a treat.

The dimensions/measurements show that the pivot on the 'B' post is pretty good both sides.

The wheel arches appear to be mirror images.

Basicaly the nearside of the frame does not rest on the wheel arch - the offside does.

The nearside over centre lever stands about 1/2" above the side panel - the offside is about 1/2" below the side panel.

!! I'll remeasure that one as it doesn;t make sense.

The height from the floor of the 'B' posts are very similar

It would be nice to get the nearside frame below the side panel without serious frame mangling.

Roger

post-4113-0-93611100-1535198237_thumb.jpg

This has the frame above the side panlel on the near side

post-4113-0-39368400-1535198248_thumb.jpg

This shows the other side below the side panel. Off side

post-4113-0-04463200-1535198611_thumb.jpg

this is the near side but mirror/flipped to show better the differences.

Edited by RogerH

The right hand side main bar from the mounting triangle doesnt have the same initial bend by the looks of it as the left one, with those frames it only takes a couple of degrees difference on any of the bar bends to put the whole thing out.

Stuart.

Hi Bob,

yes. I have checked the bends in the frame and they are pretty good. You comparison pic shows.

It also shows that the bell crank arm is not quite aligned.

See the pics below for another idea. This makes the frame sit nice but the side flaps do not quite do the job.

Roger

post-4113-0-06648500-1535209082_thumb.jpg

post-4113-0-84671100-1535209095_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

Hi Folks,

blimey I haven't posted since August last year - somebody must have hijacked some posts .

Well the Blue Racer has been sleeping for the last six months and I woke it up last Friday. After six months it started after the third go about 10-15 seconds per go.

When I put it to bed I had been doing some upholstery - changing the red with white piping to red with red piping.

The biggest problem though was the pax door not wanting to shut at all. The main problem is the rubber seal. This is the separate seal from the furflex. (not the TR6 style).

Today I had a moment of success. I managed to get the door aligned so that it filled the hole correctly - hurray.

The gap looked good at the A post but the rear wing at the B post was well out, In that the door stood proud of the wing,

The front wing will need some attention at the A post.

When I looked inside the wheel arch (wheel removed) there were no screws holding the wing flange against the B post. Ha Ha !!! this is a clue.

So I removed the bottom sill fastener, this allowed the wing to flap out. A few screws later the wing lay quite flat with the door - But !!! the bottom of the wing was miles out for the sill.

So, out with the angle grinder, cut the bottom of the wing off and add some metal. I know this sounds wrong but it clearly would not fit.

Shame about the paint job.

Because I have taken such a big step I can now do  somethings that I did not like - now I can sort them.

Annoyingly over the last few years the paint finish has taken some knocks. So there will be a fair bit of touching up to do.

Tomorrow I shall prep the car for removing the wing. Quite a bit of work but it needs to be done.

Roger

Hi Folks,

for the last week I have been playing around with this left rear wing 0 welding/filler/sanding etc etc

Today I had an Echidna moment. No, Not Echdna, that's a Spiney Ant Eater. An Epiphany moment. I definitely had a moment.

Something is seriously not right with this wing.

The return fold down the length of the front edge is missing; the inner rib is riveted to the skin with aircraft Ali rivets and a few odds and sods of metal added here and there.

So I have removed the inner rib. I have just found that Moss do these as replaceable parts - yippee.

I shall cut the front edge of the skin out (apprx 1.5" wide down its length) and let in new metal.

Can anybody help me here -  left (nearside rear wing).. Does the foot on the inner rib (the flange that attaches to the skin) point forward  or point rearwards.

I shall pop along to Moss tomorrow and see what they have.

Roger

The inner flange at the front of the wing i.e. the part that bolts to the back of the "B" post points forward and is slid under the return on the front edge of the wing and then spot welded in.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

thanks for that. That makes sense.  I can't it on the 4A in the built condition. but having the flange under the skin return is the answer.

Not sure if I need to replace the inner rib.

I will clean everything and do some serious measuring before jumping in with the angler grinder and new parts.

Roger

Roger if it helps my 5 is sitting with the wings held on with gaffer tape ,so if you need, your more than welcome to come over and pull it apart and take a look !