Hi Bob,

this is what I've come up with to press the LTD's in.

The drill shank is used to centralise the LTD.

Once it is punched in the LTD is then removed and the fabric hole opened up.

I have a cunning plan on the tool for squeezing it together. At Present I'm Using Mole grips.

My next tool will be to disassemble the Leather punch - it has 6 punches on a wheel. I shall remove the wheel. This will give me a two pronged set of squeezers with a solid base.

On wards and upwards.

Roger

post-4113-0-00759200-1502014950_thumb.jpg

post-4113-0-56708700-1502014956_thumb.jpg

post-4113-0-71403600-1502014963_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, Heavens above it passed the MOT with a very badly painted rear wing.   Had an interesting day today. I needed to spray the  rear wing from the TR4. I did this last week and it wen

Hi Folks, well that was quite prophetic !!!!!!  Lockdown on March 23rd certainly threw a spanner in the works, So after 8 months sleep the Blue Racer has risen and having risdid is now at ho

Hi Roger, I recently had the "opportunity" (not) to do some bodywork on and respray my rear wing. I bought a very cheap (customer return) small garden gazebo on ebay and put it up in my garage. I

Posted Images

Hi Bob,

this is what I've come up with to press the LTD's in.

The drill shank is used to centralise the LTD.

Once it is punched in the LTD is then removed and the fabric hole opened up.

I have a cunning plan on the tool for squeezing it together. At Present I'm Using Mole grips.

My next tool will be to disassemble the Leather punch - it has 6 punches on a wheel. I shall remove the wheel. This will give me a two pronged set of squeezers with a solid base.

On wards and upwards.

Roger

attachicon.gifP1060167a.jpg

attachicon.gifP1060168a.jpg

attachicon.gifP1060169a.jpg

Mark a DOT on the base part of the tool so you know the orientation of the tool to the fastener.

Error proofing.

The expensive punch https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/products/151ltd-punch-tool-for-lift-the-dot-cloth-socket

or here is a cheapo punch http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lift-the-Dot-fasteners-stud-socket-2ba-threaded-fastener-boat-canopy-cover-tool-/191710160972?var=&hash=item2ca2d0e84c

Peter W

Hi Folks,

well, I've achieved one goal this summer. I wanted to get the roof fitted whilst the weather is still warm.

Thankfully this I have done and am quite pleased with the finish. B)

All the LTD fasteners have covered all the holes I've punched in the fabric :)

It took quite a few days to ensure that mistakes were kept to a minimum. I don;t think I made anything serious.

I've still got a few little bits to do but the heavy stuff is sorted.

I was pleased with the LTD insertion tool I made. If anybody is thinking of installing LTD fasteners give me a call and I'll lend you my tool.

See the above posts for pics.

Roger

Some pics

post-4113-0-37448800-1502120241_thumb.jpg

post-4113-0-19165800-1502120248_thumb.jpg

post-4113-0-00197000-1502120258_thumb.jpg

post-4113-0-15105600-1502120275_thumb.jpg

post-4113-0-55448700-1502120299_thumb.jpg

post-4113-0-16977300-1502120310_thumb.jpg

Nice job.

What stops the rain sneaking over the screen frame & under the hood front ?

( that's where mine leaks - but it's bit different to a '3)

& will we be seeing the "Racer" at the Surrey Oaks at any stage ?

Bob.

Hi Bob,

the fabric tucks under the front lip of the frame cap.

The gap between the cap and the frame is sealed. So the water should stay one side and me on the other.

I'm sure it will get to the Oaks but I don;t know when.

Roger

Hi folks,

today I took a break from the upholstery and decided to fit a reversing light switch on the GB top cover.

In order to drill and tap the cover you need to remove the three selector rods.

The forks on the rods are kept in place with taper lock screws (deep joy :o )

Two were difficult but came out. The third came out - well half of it came out. The other half stayed put.

The only way to get them out is to drill down the centre. Then open out the holes with bigger and bigger drills trying not to damage the threads etc.

having got to as big as I dare go I tap the selector fork and shear off the remaining thread in the hole.

This worked well. But it left quite a lump of threaded screw in the fork.

I could just get a 5/16UNF to start in the hole. In turning the tap into the hole caused the screw remnants to screw itself out the other end.

The Pics show how accurate the drilling was - by hand.

Roger

post-4113-0-46051900-1502471856_thumb.jpg

post-4113-0-63523500-1502471864_thumb.jpg

post-4113-0-25161400-1502471876_thumb.jpg

Edited by RogerH

Roger,

Well done on the hood fabric and the selector fork screw.

Should have done the selector first so you had grubby finger marks on the trim from point go.

The taper screws I consider to be a horror show.

I think you need a hobby....

Peter W

Hi Peter,

when I retired in 2009 I had two main hobbies that I was looking forward to -

Fishing and Golf.

I've had about three rounds of golf in 8 years and a simliar amount of fishing.

I am better at pulling fish out of the water than smacking golf balls in a straight line.

Does anybody want a fishing match.

Roger

Well now that you have baby goldfish at home the fishing possibilities must surely be increasing Roger :P

Well now that you have baby goldfish at home the fishing possibilities must surely be increasing Roger :P

Can you imagine the size of hook i would need - nano- technology.

The other week my daughter in law wanted one of the Goldfish. When we were away for the week end she came around and tried and tried to catch a GF.

No success at all. There are dozens of the bu99ers near the surface and a 6" cooks sieve nearby - how can you not catch a GF.

She was after the one with the spot near its nose - just that one :blink: . And she can vote as well. :rolleyes:

Roger

Roger, your reversing light switch seems to have been a mission for the 3 times you are going to drive it at night. For those 3 times 2 will be only be going forwards so what was wrong with a teeny little finger operated switch somewhere nobody could see for the one back up? Much more time for golf, fishing and beer doing it the easy way. :-)

Simon

Hi Simon,

the GB tunnel is off and I have all the tools for the job. So a switch was inserted.

Before I did the 4A last year I knocked up a 30 second timer to turn the rev lights off. A toggle switch can leave the lights on

The GB switch is the better way to go and is quite easy to do when the GB is already exposed.

As a note - The switch has a most odd thread form 5/8 x 13tpi BUT the 16mm tap works very well.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

As a nore - The switch has a most odd thread form 5/8 x 13tpi BUT the 16mm tap works very well.

Talking of odd thread sizes, just been fitting a new Edelbrock carb on a friends TR V8 and discovered that the fuel inlet needed changing from the supplied straight pipe to a 90 banjo fitting, easy just order one on line. Then discover thread size is 5/8" 20 tpi UNS where the "S" means special, funny only people in the world that seem to make a banjo fitting in that thread "Edelbrock" quick way to add $20 to the base price of the carb!

Alan

Hi Alan,

if the banjo was brass then it could have been an -

Admiralty thread 5/8 x 20 Core dia

5/8, ADM, 0.625, 15.88, 20, .0 1.270, 0.5610, 14.249, 0.0320, 0.813

or a

CE120 thread (haven't clue what that is) 5/8 x 20

5/8, CEI20, 0.625, 15.88, 20, .0 1.270, 0.5718, 14.524, 0.0266, 0.676, 60º

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Many thanks for the input Roger, next time I need one I'll try popping down to a Naval Shipyard, wonder what weird purpose caused the need for a non standard thread!

Mind you having spent years once developing a system to account and bill for T&M production for the Navy, my expectation is that the cost to the Navy of every such Banjo bolt would probably be in the £100 bracket, but it would probably have come sealed in wax, and in a neat little wooden box!

Alan

Don't forget the "Black Russian".

Mick Richards

I remember adding a reversing light switch by drilling the cover with that funny thread (discussed above and before) I think I used M16 which is close enough.

and threading in a switch like the O/D switches

I did take the cover off but didn't take it to bits which I have only done recently

The switch could go on the left side of the top cover just below the gear stick or on the top cover

the spot were on raised bumps already on the top cover

I will dig out the photos if you want to see

Regards as usual

BTW I actually went out in my TR today and my wife came too it went really well

Michael

Edited by MichaelH

Hi Michael,

that switch thread is an odd one. - 5/8" x 13tpi.

The M16 works well. Instead of binding slightly due to the thread pitch mismatch it actually screws in easier - core diameter probably a gnats smaller.

I have found that taking the top cover to pieces is quite easy unless one or more of the taper lock screws decide not to play ball.

Roger

Edited by RogerH