Can someone recommend a good battery for a TR4A (with hi-torque starter) at a reasonable price? Where to purchase?

Can someone recommend a good battery for a TR4A (with hi-torque starter) at a reasonable price? Where to purchase?

Near manchester we have "manbat" great quality, cheaper than retail, selling Numax and Varta, if they have a new one with a mark on the corner its yours for £20, + guarantee.

Contact 0161 351 3580

Hi Monty

Try Lincon Batteries Tel 01702 525374. I have one of theirs on my TR4 since 2003 still going strong. They sent it in dry state so i got it filled and charged locally, they may not be the cheapest but their service and quality is excellent.

Cheers Chris Hubball.

AAArrrrgggghhh. I was OK up until you started talking about batteries.

Now my TR4A battery has died.

It was OK last week.

It had a hic-cup on Sunday.

Today it is an ex-battery, it is late, past tense, gone, deceased, pushing up the daisies etc, etc, etc (I can do this with parrots as well).

Any who, off to Halfords. I need a HB072 battery. It fits the space very nicely and has loads of antsamps.

When I look on the shelf they have the standard at £89 and the super duper with added calcium (for stronger bones)at £99.

At the check out I presented the super duper batt and my trade card - caa ching that will be £68.

4 year warranty as well.

The Halford trade card is worth having.

Roger

AAArrrrgggghhh. I was OK up until you started talking about batteries.

Now my TR4A battery has died.

It was OK last week.

It had a hic-cup on Sunday.

Today it is an ex-battery, it is late, past tense, gone, deceased, pushing up the daisies etc, etc, etc (I can do this with parrots as well).

Any who, off to Halfords. I need a HB072 battery. It fits the space very nicely and has loads of antsamps.

When I look on the shelf they have the standard at £89 and the super duper with added calcium (for stronger bones)at £99.

At the check out I presented the super duper batt and my trade card - caa ching that will be £68.

4 year warranty as well.

Roger

Thanks for that info Roger & sorry yours has gone too, although mine has just come back to life this afternoon following a good charging. Not sure if it is terminal or not at this stage. Looked on the Battery Megastore site as mentioned in TRaction & they do a suitable Varta item (calcium & 4 year guarantee) @ £75 inc. 5% discount & delivery, so will go that route if the existing battery is dead tomorrow!

Hi Monty

Try Lincon Batteries Tel 01702 525374. I have one of theirs on my TR4 since 2003 still going strong. They sent it in dry state so i got it filled and charged locally, they may not be the cheapest but their service and quality is excellent.

Cheers Chris Hubball.

Thanks Chris.

Monty.

But impossible to get around here - I've tried 3 different branches in recent years and they didn't want to know. I resent having to make up fake business cards to carry on spending money there, so support the dwindling independent local motor factors and motorists shops whenever possible. As far as batteries are concerned, I've always got a better deal on Motaquip VBZ8 at TRGB for the TRs and ManBat in Shefford on Varta batteries for the Skodas.

Edited by BrianC

Hi Brian,

I know what you mean about obtaining the dreaded Halfords trade card.

When I first asked for it at the Hayes branch The lady assistant asked if I was a mechanic.

'No' says I. 'I'm an aircraft inspector' 'In that case you can't have it' says she.

'Why not' I ask politely. 'You need to be a mechanic'.

Get brain into high speed mode - 'ah but at British Airways inspectors are treated just like mechanics - spanners, screwdrivers etc'

'Ok you can have it'.

Last summer I went and lost my wallet with everything in it including the precious 'H' card.

Off I go to the Hayes branch again cap in hand.

'Can I have a replacement' says I.

'No' says she. 'You need a new one'

So we start to fill in the paperwork and I have to show her my BA pass - alas I have now retired and my pass says so.

'Hang on a minute' says she 'You've retired'

'Ah yes but, I'm the chief mechanic for the TR Register London Branch' - Bingo.

Roger

Hi Peter,

The discount varies depending what you are buying. You only get it on mechanic(ing) type things - tools, oil, car spares etc.

Radios and bikes are off limits.

The minimum I've had is 10% (aerosol paint, wet&dry etc) apprx 20% of their classic 20/50 oil and apprx 30% off batts.

However you don't know what your getting until you get it.

Roger

Ingenuity ? :blink:

Is that, like, not getting caught red handed, or even worse in delicto flagrante ? :o

The former applying to the actress, the latter the Bishop. :D

And if you get 31.31313% off a brace off AAs, is that what you call a short stroke ? :P

Cheers,

Alec

• 4 years later...

Try Ebay

Lucas LP 110 Car Battery TYPE 110 (580 406 074) - 12V 80AH 740A with 4 Yrs Wrnty

Less than £64 including delivery to your door, I used the site twice for my MGBs and had no problems also the terminal post are OK for Neg earth.

Charles

PS Always check the battery dimensions for your car, I think this is the one but Check!

Edited by cotswold
  • 1 year later...

I found this thread because I Iooked for info on a replacement battery for my TR4. Since I did get good info here I think it to be normal practice to return the favour and post my experiences here.

I looked for a battery approx the same size as to what was present, and the for something at least 65Ah and 550 CCA. I did find a good replacement in a Varta E24 "Blue Dynamic" (whatever that stands for???). 75Ah and 650CCA, 260x175x220 (LxWxH). I got it for €96,85 all in. Since UK pound and euro are about the same value lately B) you get an idea of cost.

Included some pictures too. The exchange took me about 5'.

post-14211-0-00545800-1488365524_thumb.jpg

post-14211-0-53288700-1488365533_thumb.jpg

post-14211-0-95674300-1488365543_thumb.jpg

post-14211-0-99379600-1488365558_thumb.jpg

post-14211-0-25598700-1488365573_thumb.jpg

Edited by earckens

I found this thread because I Iooked for info on a replacement battery for my TR4. Since I did get good info here I think it to be normal practice to return the favour and post my experiences here.

I looked for a battery approx the same size as to what was present, and the for something at least 65Ah and 550 CCA. I did find a good replacement in a Varta E24 "Blue Dynamic" (whatever that stands for???). 75Ah and 650CCA, 260x175x220 (LxWxH). I got it for €96,85 all in. Since UK pound and euro are about the same value lately B) you get an idea of cost.

Included some pictures too. The exchange took me about 5'.

Earckens

If I was you I'd try and get a bit more clearance between the Battery Clamp and the Terminals?!!

Shorting out is a real possibility? :o

Edited by Gary Flinn

I have a similar replacement battery to Earckens in my 4A. As Gary points out the terminals are very close to the clamp and this concerned me too so I simply cut a suitable piece of inner tube and trapped this round the clamp near the +ve (live on 4A) terminal to prevent any inadvertent contact.

Tim

I was offered a trade card by my local store manager some years ago and use it regularly and have no connection to the motor trade.

As for batteries, I installed an Odyssey race battery 18 months ago and it's been perfect and as with all my batteries I do keep it on an Optimate most of the time.

Edited by Mark1965TR4aBRG

I was worried about the proximity of the terminals to the clamp plate, so when replacing my battery, I opted for one with the terminals at the back.

However be warned when undoing the terminals and always take off the earth first - I didn't do this, and when undoing the positive, my spanner touched the copper clutch pipe running along the bulkhead with some interesting consequences!!

To doubly protect against future occurrences, I slit an appropriately sized piece of clear plastic tube and put it over the pipe - it's hardly noticeable

Cheers

Rich

deleted - didn't read all the above before posting

Edited by RobH