Seat Belt Mountings

Hi

Mine are fitted at the base of the wheel arch near to the bottom centre with a swivel bracket on the top edge at the centre of the wheelarch which allows the belt to run over your shoulder, they are secured through the arch with bolts scewed into large plats with nuts attached which came in the kit to give a good area for stregh of fittihg. sorry no pics not good at that and wifee not in..

Phil..

PS I bought them from southern triumph in bournemouth but I am sure there available elsewhere..

Any good?.....there are other types of seatbelt available that mount differently....need to be careful with choice.

Don't mount the top 'swivel' too high or belt can foul under the hood when folded.

john

Edited by johnny250

Thanks Phil and John,

I understood your description perfectly Phil, but as always, a picture paints a thousand words and so thanks for that John.

I just acquired my car today and my reels are currenly mounted on the floor right behind the seat, and in fact the seats are mounted slightly forward of where they could be as the back has been adapted with seatbelts for a couple of small children. So, with your help, I can now move them and also move the seats backa a little, which means I might be able to actually drive it with my shoes on!

Great help. Thanks guys.

Dave

Hi David,

another thing to consider is the room the inertia reels take up. If you require to use the back seat of the car as luggage space

then every inch is precious. I ditched my inertias and went back to static belts.

Roger

Thanks for that additional gem Roger. As you say, every inch is indeed precious. Personally, I travel light, but my partner might need to order some bespoke luggage!!! Heaven forfend!

Dave

Hi Dave,

I too can advocate the use of static belts, particularly if you have original seats as they can be tightened to hold you in the seat a bit more when "pressing-on-a-bit" ;)

Have a look a my set up when you make it over: Andy has 4-point harnesses with his sports seats and my Dad's TR6 has inertia-reel, so you could see a selection!

Cheers

Adey

PS: have you got the car yet?

Edited by Ade-TR4

Hi Dave,

Before moving your inertia reel seat belts, you should be aware that there are different types. Some need to be fixed in specific orientations or they lock on permanently, Others can be set to any orientation. If you fit the reels on the wheel arch as shown, make sure they are the variable orientation type.They cost about the same, you just need to know which ones you have.

Also the wheel arch will possibly need strengthening plates (load spreading) - Others may be able to give better guidance on this.

TT

Hi Dave,

Before moving your inertia reel seat belts, you should be aware that there are different types. Some need to be fixed in specific orientations or they lock on permanently, Others can be set to any orientation. If you fit the reels on the wheel arch as shown, make sure they are the variable orientation type.They cost about the same, you just need to know which ones you have.

Also the wheel arch will possibly need strengthening plates (load spreading) - Others may be able to give better guidance on this.

TT

Hi Tony,

Thanks very much for this informatin about orientation, which I was unaware of. I shall look carefully into ordering the right thing as it comes to the top of the list next week.

All the best.

Dave

Just following up on Tony's point, some are adjustable for orientation. I fitted some to the TR6 and they had a rotatable disk with an arrow on which had to point upwards to ensure that the locking mechanism worked properly.

Edited by peejay4A

Hi Dave,

I too can advocate the use of static belts, particularly if you have

original seats as they can be tightened to hold you in the seat a bit

more when "pressing-on-a-bit" ;)

Totally agree with Adey.

With inertia belts, I like to feel a bit of slackness,

but with the TR4 (early) seats being a bit flexible,

I like the feeling of my (3-point fixing) static belts

adjusted to a close fit.

Even more so for passengers with the seat being

even more flexible and with no steering wheel to

hold onto.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

I have inertia reels and I like them.

Hopefully, attached are some pictures of how I mounted them. It has taken me days of wrestling to get the pictures first from camera to computer, and then small enough to put here, but I think I may have done it. Don't ever wonder why it is that I won't have a motor vehicle that is smarter than me.

JFerg

post-8034-0-73300900-1297748811_thumb.jpg

post-8034-0-22843600-1297748824_thumb.jpg

post-8034-0-34706100-1297748838_thumb.jpg

post-8034-0-73300900-1297748811_thumb.jpg

post-8034-0-22843600-1297748824_thumb.jpg

post-8034-0-34706100-1297748838_thumb.jpg