Surrey top Backlight seal

Hi Folks,

Hope I have not asked this before, if so then sorry... but I remember reading somewhere that Rimmers were offering a new improved Surrey backlight seal to the rear deck, instead of the stupid sort if A section moulding that is generally offered. I rang Rimmers and they didnt know of such a thing so maybe I got it wrong... Any info (or anyone with a spare) greatfully received

Cheers

Thats correct Ian. Rimmers were doing a better type of seal. This is the profile of it.

CopyofMarksTR5736.jpg

Unfortunately they arent too helpful on the phone. I seem to remember that they were using the same part number which makes it even more difficult.I have yet to find an alternative supplier.

Stuart

Edited by stuart

Hi Folks,

Hope I have not asked this before, if so then sorry... but I remember reading somewhere that Rimmers were offering a new improved Surrey backlight seal to the rear deck, instead of the stupid sort if A section moulding that is generally offered. I rang Rimmers and they didnt know of such a thing so maybe I got it wrong... Any info (or anyone with a spare) greatfully received

Cheers

Hi Ian

I do have the number and I will try and find it. I sent it to Robin Tr6

Edited by ntc

On the left is what I got from Moss to do the job. On the right is what I used. It came from a specialty rubber shop we have in Oz called Clark rubber. I couldn't get the Moss one to grip the edge of the backlight.

seals.jpg

If you can't find anything suitable locally I could get some for you.

PS. that is the only item from Moss that I was disappointed with, and I assure you they will be showing a healthy profit this year.

Caveat emptor: it hasn't been out in the wind or rain for a test yet!

Edited by littlejim

That one Jim flagged up, I think you can get from Phoenix.

http://www.yell.com/...6522/index.html

It looks like their #DX87N.

They don't have a website, but if you phone them, they'll send you a PDF with a variety of moulding profiles full-size, you can print them out and take a look.

When I was making door seals for The Shed, they supplied me with six different profiles from which I did a pick'n'mix.

Some are more squashy, some more resilient.

They also attend some of the car shows.

Ivor

Here you go Rimmers location no. ME37AH01 Part number 610633 Rear deck seal.

Stuart.

THanks everyone for this, also to Stuart for this afternoons conversation. I did in fact phone them back to be told that the moulding you sent a piccy of is under the original part no. Unfortunately on back order since FEB. So to be clear if you buy from Moss 610633 you get a seal that does no fit and the same moulding is called 610633ALT if you buy from Rimmers.

Thats a bummer as I am just fitting new trim and it was a good time to change the backlight seal without having to take the trim out again if it ever gets redelivered!!

Will see if Woolies have something like

Cheers all

• 4 years later...

Thats correct Ian. Rimmers were doing a better type of seal. This is the profile of it.

CopyofMarksTR5736.jpg

Unfortunately they arent too helpful on the phone. I seem to remember that they were using the same part number which makes it even more difficult.I have yet to find an alternative supplier.

Stuart

Hi Stuart

I have just bought 610633 from Rimmers, IanR is correct with his part numbers. Rimmers list yours as the original.

Does the piece on your thumb sit under the U channel?

Thanks

The Moss seal is close to the original. It looks and works fine.

But is a b****r to fit.

If you fasten it to the back light with a few blobs of PU sealant then it will do a nice job.

If the car is unmolested across the rear deck and forward deck extensions then yes but the slightest variation will mean when the car is parked facing downhill in the rain then water will go underneath it. You wont notice it for years until the sides of the parcel shelf and the bottom of the "B" post rot out. Look at where an original shell has gone. ;)

Stuart.

Hi Stuart

I have just bought 610633 from Rimmers, IanR is correct with his part numbers. Rimmers list yours as the original.

Does the piece on your thumb sit under the U channel?

Thanks

No the seal fits as shown in the picture with the "U" slid over the bottom of the frame.

Stuart.

No that will spread to the right of the picture down against the deck as the backlight is drawn down on the mounting bolts.

Stuart.