If you like period, unmodified cars

Clearly a lot of work and skill has gone into that, very impressive.

But

Even with a Tr250 body on, its no Tr, its a Hot Rod.

What else could it be... :unsure:

Might be better with an Mgb Body :lol:

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Clearly a lot of work and skill has gone into that, very impressive.

But

Even with a Tr250 body on, its no Tr, its a Hot Rod.

Cheers

Guy

Then I'd argue anyone that did an engine or frame swap doesn't have a TR either.

But the point is moot.

It'll look superficially like a TR and it'll be registered as a TR.

Better that than the scrapyard - it's going into this little gem after all. And before you chime in that it's not that bad - this is the best side. The frame has disintegrated.

car.jpg

Edited by alan atkinson

Guy

Looks like an LS6 lump on a space frame chassis the green JD in the back ground will handle better :lol: apart from a strait line sprint

It's actually an LS2. And it's been built to go on the street and on road courses, not as a drag car.

You'll note that it has IRS all the way round, which usually isn't found on anything that goes in a straight line.

The suspension specs are the same as a C5, which is what anything that wasn't custom fabbed is based on (it's dead reliable and replacement parts are fairly cheap over here). There was rather a lot of time and trouble spent on modelling software to make sure it all works right. Packaging it so it fits under the stock shell was the biggest challenge - the front is tight.

But then of course you'd know better, right? It's American so it doesn't go round corners...

Then I can only defer to your greater experience with American automobiles.

I'll be sure to make out a will before I climb into it and venture anywhere near the first bend.

Sound's like a good plan Alan, all the best with it and take care ;)

OK, so I'm prejudiced - I like big grunters, hotrods and V8s.

This device looks not dissimilar in chassis concept to a number of sports racing chassis from the late 60s. Nothing strikes me as obviously awry from the pics. Ideally, perhaps, the engine might go back a couple or three inches, from a weight distribution point of view, but then that's probably limited by the bodyshell ?

IRS ought to facilitate reasonable ride as well as roadholding.

The LS2 is a good enough lump.

So this is a TR250 rod utilising a period sort of a race chassis, and probably a damn sight more effective chassis that anything Canley ever produced.

What exactly is the problem . . . . or am I missing something ? :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Alec

Personally I like hotrods and TR's so this would be the ideal car for me, shame I copuld never get it registered in france, could be a good excuse to move stateside ;)

Nice looking piece of kit Alan

Cheers

Alan

This device looks not dissimilar in chassis concept to a number of sports racing chassis from the late 60s. Nothing strikes me as obviously awry from the pics. Ideally, perhaps, the engine might go back a couple or three inches, from a weight distribution point of view, but then that's probably limited by the bodyshell ?

It's got to fit.

The front of this engine is over 3" back from the front of the stock 6 engine without cutting any of the shell up.

The shifter still has to be relocated forward - but you can do that on a T56 without too much drama.

I'm using the battery tray for the air conditioning servo, so that goes in the trunk - the rear needs some weight in there desperately.

My fat ass will move the distribution backwards quite a bit though :D

A couple of points that aren't apparent from the pictures. There's almost 1.5" more suspension travel here than on a stock 6, and there's a rather impressive amount of ground clearance compared to stock. My 6 is lowered and this thing looks like a truck in comparison right now. The other thing is that its light. Really light. All up, with the surrey in place it should be right around 2000lbs. The engine and tranny combo is within 30lbs of the stock TR with an o/d box, but tuned is good for 450+hp with those headers.

It's not going to please everyone (or anyone except me perhaps). The plan is to finish it so it looks similar to the Shell rally cars. Not as similar as 7VC, but superficially so at least. And like I said before, it's got to be better than it going to the scrapyard, which is all the shell was fit for - NOS panels all round are not cheap...

Edited by alan atkinson

What exactly is the problem . . . . or am I missing something ? :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Alec

I will leave this one for you Alec :lol: I live in the third world and know bugger all ;)

Edited by ntc

Don't quite understand some of the negative comments in this thread. I reckon it will be fantastic.

Have you got any photos of the rear suspension setup? I'm just designing a double wishbone setup for a Spitfire chassis (which has even less room to play with than the TR).

Jerry

OK, so I'm prejudiced - I like big grunters, hotrods and V8s.

What exactly is the problem . . . . or am I missing something ? rolleyes.gif

So do I, and there is no problem.

Except that it seems to suffer from electronic fuel injection yuk, and perhaps the tyres - personally I don't like low-profiles on a classic car.

But all that power in such a small shell, lovely.

When you're tired of it and need the space for your next project, let me know. tongue.gif

Ivor

Don't quite understand some of the negative comments in this thread. I reckon it will be fantastic.

Have you got any photos of the rear suspension setup? I'm just designing a double wishbone setup for a Spitfire chassis (which has even less room to play with than the TR).

Jerry

There's this one - but the swaybar isn't right. I'm having a narrower one made.

rear1.jpg

Or this

diff.jpg

I have a few others. pm me if you want/need copies. The differential is an LSD from an 05 Pontiac GTO (It'll be a Holden something over there probably). It's the same size as an R200, except it's 1" narrower stub axle:stub axle. The benefit (for me) is that they are $100 each second hand, and there's any number of ratios available for pocket change.

One other interesting point. While they are low profile tires, I kinda like the way they look (the wheels are a different matter - I want some sort of minilite clone). What's interesting is that while they are from a 2004 sportscar, the rolling diameter is within 0.1" of that of those on a stock TR6.

Edited by alan atkinson

Someone needs to go back and watch some more Monty Python.

Perhaps then they'd understand the reference and not get all sulky.

Or are you perchance Gordon Brown in disguise?

The opposite, that may surprise you