Rear Valance assembly...oh no

Hi All,

I have known for some time that i have a problem with the rear valance.

It is by now the only panel that hasnt been off the car in my ownership. <_<

In the past i would have left such work to the professionals, however

this time i fear its a job a would like to tackle with your collective help :rolleyes:

Problem is rust all along the bottom seam between the lower inner and outer valance,

and has crept upwards in certain spots. :( Both panels no longer touch in any way. I have removed

a dustpan full.

Idealy i suppose the outer valance panel and inner lower valance panel should be replaced.

I apologise already as this will envolve me in asking a good few questions before i get it sorted.

First off if anyone has any photos of work they have done in this area in the past that would be helpfull.

And the big question do i really have to remove the rear wings to remove the rear valance. From what i can see

there are four bolts up each side to undo, break the top seal between the rear outer valance and

upper inner panel(joint under boot seal)

That should do for starters.

Your assistance appreciated as always.

Guy

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

In the past i would have left such work to the professionals, however

this time i fear its a job a would like to tackle with your collective help :rolleyes:

Problem is rust all along the bottom seam between the lower inner and outer valance,

and has crept upwards in certain spots. :( Both panels no longer touch in any way. I have removed

a dustpan full.

Idealy i suppose the outer valance panel and inner lower valance panel should be replaced.

I apologise already as this will envolve me in asking a good few questions before i get it sorted.

First off if anyone has any photos of work they have done in this area in the past that would be helpfull.

And the big question do i really have to remove the rear wings to remove the rear valance. From what i can see

there are four bolts up each side to undo, break the top seal between the rear outer valance and

upper inner panel(joint under boot seal)

That should do for starters.

Your assistance appreciated as always.

Guy

Guy, post a picture and lets see how bad the rot is. If it is any consolation I plan to tackle a similar problem this winter as the lower right hand corner of my rear valence is showing signs of rust bubbling and in an earlier thread Stuart indicated that the rear wing would have to come off for that in addition to drilling out the spot welds along the bottom. If you are planning to replace the whole thing I'm guessing both wings will have to come off so you can separate the valence from the inner wings..

Stan

Hi Guy,

I remembered doing the same repair to my 6, so i had a look around my resto pics and scanned these in, it isn't a bad job to do, just a bit fiddley

Phil.

click on slideshow

Thanks for those Phil.

If it involves welding its bad as far as i am concerned.

Heres some more pictures of the job being done, its on Six Pack.

http://www.6-pack.org/sixpack/phpbb2/viewt...ghlight=valance

I am going to have to wade throught all this to work out a plan of attack, think i would prefer to leave the inner lower valance

in, as it seems to envolve the most work, maybe it can be cut and extended. <_<

Cheers

Guy

Thanks for those Phil.

If it involves welding its bad as far as i am concerned.

Heres some more pictures of the job being done, its on Six Pack.

http://www.6-pack.org/sixpack/phpbb2/viewt...ghlight=valance

I am going to have to wade throught all this to work out a plan of attack, think i would prefer to leave the inner lower valance

in, as it seems to envolve the most work, maybe it can be cut and extended. <_<

Cheers

Guy

Guy, its hard to imagine that any repair to this area could be done without welding something even if it is just a patch on the outer skin. This is a horrid area with too many panels and that double skin bottom that was doomed to rot from the get go. I think at a minimum we need to separate the seam at the bottom of the valence so we can inspect and (I hope) repair any rotted areas and get in there to try and rustproof it if possible and then after the rotted material is replaced re-do the spot welds along the bottom. If I have to remove the whole valence then this project will go on the back burner and I will wait for the right time for the full body off job.

Stan

Looking at the three major pieces, I wonder how much of this can be teased apart in order to get at the rotted areas. Is it possible for example to remove just the outer panel and leave the two inner panels in-situ or does the whole lot have to come out in one assemble and then separated ?.

RearValence.jpg

2 options, either

A strip rear end, wings etc or

B rub down with sanding discs and rust proof till later

any repair will need doing again later.

My tub needs the inner rear valance panel replaced in the near future....one hopes...so interested in your progress

Looking at the three major pieces, I wonder how much of this can be teased apart in order to get at the rotted areas. Is it possible for example to remove just the outer panel and leave the two inner panels in-situ or does the whole lot have to come out in one assemble and then separated ?.

RearValence.jpg

Stan,

Good diagram,

am going to go and have a good look tomorrow.

The outer panel to me has four bolts up each side, easy to undo, it is spot welded to the inner lower valance along the bottom (mine is rusted and i have opened it with a screwdriver, so no problem).It is also spot welded along the top edge, so drill out prize apart carefuly,

i have also noted the joint where the outerpanel meet the wing drainage channel, outer panel goes under and has a some weld on it,so cut out.

So having done that will it tap out carefully without removing wings?

Removing the wings doesnt look too bad just awkward, then all requires resealing.

Another thought, the inner lower panel, does it really need to join up with the outer panel, can it just be cut back

rustproofed, dont know.

But we know a man who does.

Cheers

Guy

How many others are going to look under there cars at the joint where the two panels meet?

Hi All,

Guy

Hi Guy

What a night mare Nipper

it just goes to show what you see from the outside isnt the end of the story

well it certainly is a challenge, and i can understand you feeling a bit aprehensive

about the job. still nothing ventured nothing gained

i cannot see how you are going to do the job without taking the wings off ?

remember to use a sharp drill when taking the spot welds out the spots are very hard and the drill wants to skip

over them, a spring centre poc is good to get a mark for the drill to pick up on.

you can do this guy you have a lot of friends that will help you

my advice would be to make sure you have the proper tools to do the job also be careful not to stretch any of the panels

all ways on the end of the phone

regards pink

Edited by pinky

I understand that the purpose of the double-skin was to improve strength in the event of a rear-end shunt, so it's desirable rather than essential. I expect the inner valance could be replaced with a few curved struts, like the ribs of the ship, that would eliminate the rust trap.

In the last month, I've noticed that my rear valance is rusting around the bumper mount, and perhaps elsewhere.

I'm going to repair it with a unique tissue-packet known as Stuart.

I know my limitations. Or some of them. :P

Ivor

Edited by 88V8
Hi All,

Ok, just had a long chat with Stuart, thanks mate, and the wings are going to be removed.

So having now faced this idea and thought i am going to go for it.

First job remove wings. <_<

Cheers

Guy

And when you put it all back together pop in those nice wing beads from the early cars look far better imho

Hi All,

Ok, just had a long chat with Stuart, thanks mate, and the wings are going to be removed.

So having now faced this idea and thought i am going to go for it.

First job remove wings. <_<

Cheers

Guy

Removing the rear wings is not that bad Guy. The issue is with unmolested cars and what you find when you take the wing off like just underseal where the back of the B post should be and the rear of the sill rotted out where the rear wing overlaps but if your car has been apart before and put back together correctly it should be uneventful once you find all the attachment points. Keep us informed, I'll just be a few weeks behind you..

Stan

Hi

Job Started some pics.

Removed lights and lock, Thats easy. Then removed the four bolts through outer wing

and lower valance. I also racked the joint slightly with a razor blade. And the bottom valance was tack welded

to inner lower valance, cut the tacks.

DSC08147.jpg

I gave the valance a little pull and this happened.

On inspection up the joint there are only two tack welds, handy dremwl sorted those.

DSC08149.jpg

Which leaves the seam along the top edge, which needs some spot weld drill bits, which

i have ordered. And also there are three tack show below.

DSC08150.jpg

Now i may have missed something but is it likely i can remove this outer panel with the wings on.

Thats All Folks

Guy

Now i may have missed something but is it likely i can remove this outer panel with the wings on.

Nice going Guy. So is it your expectation that both inner panels will remain attached to the tub or that one or both will come off with the outer panel ?.

Stan

Nice going Guy. So is it your expectation that both inner panels will remain attached to the tub or that one or both will come off with the outer panel ?.

Stan

Stan,

I hope that once i have drilled out the spot welds on the top seam, and the tack welds by the indicator cut outs,

that the outer valance will come away leaving the inner two panels intact. there are a coupe of tack welds in each internal top corner

Whats helped has been the Dremel, very handy bit of kit.

The lower inner panel is rusty on the inside from what i can see, i have probed it with screwdriver and hope, that

even though it needs work and derusting it will be ok and not need to be removed. If its beyond repair, i will have to remove the wings

so a new panel can be spot welded in.

Cheers

Guy

Guy this should show the spot welds on the outside edges of the back panel so you can remove it and leave the inner upper and lower panels in place.

Stuart

Rearvalanceattachmentpoints002.jpg

Rearvalanceattachmentpoints001.jpg

Guy this should show the spot welds on the outside edges of the back panel so you can remove it and leave the inner upper and lower panels in place.

Stuart

Nice pictures Stuart, thanks. I wonder given the number and location of those spot welds if Guy is going to be able to get at them all with his rear wings attached even with the small amount of separation he has achieved ?

Stan

Nice pictures Stuart, thanks. I wonder given the number and location of those spot welds if Guy is going to be able to get at them all with his rear wings attached even with the small amount of separation he has achieved ?

Stan

NO

Stan

Chaps,

Decided to do proper job, have now removed one wing, easy job a few screws,

need to be careful with the mastic tube joint, i ran a blade down it careful where i could.

Take of other wing tomorrow, and give it a clean.

DSC08151.jpg

DSC08152.jpg

Thanks All

Guy

Edit

Can anyone recommend a product to remove the old sealer.

Edited by Jersey Royal