Water Pump recommedations.... Please

Hi All,

Just been out for a good spin in the six, lovely. :rolleyes:

However i noticed the water pump is making a hushy type of noise (sorry about description), but thats what it sounds like. ;)

The belt is not to tight, and its probably been making this noise for a while,and its not leaking.

Its not an original pump as there is no nut on the pulley and has been on the car since i have had it, so must off covered about 40k miles.

So i am thinking its most probably the bearings making the noise, wondered if i could squirt some stuff through the hole as a temp fix. <_<

From past threads any thing with a QH on is not long lived, so can someone please recommend a pump and supplier, Rimmers, Moss.

Also has anyone any experience of Racetorations ally pump.

Regards

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Guy,

the hole is to drain water that makes its way through the bearing, which is a kind way of saying that it tells you when the bearing b*gg*r*d.

Oiling won't help, IMHO.

Try spraying WD40 on the fan belt - really!

WD40 is not a good lubricant despite it feel and uses, and won't make the belt slip, but it will suppress noises from the belt.

Noise suppressed -> new belt.

The old one will have worn on its inner surfaces and be exposing fibres that make noises, from whooshing to squealing.

John

Hi Again,

I carry a spare belt, the one on at present has a few small crazes so will fit new.

But

Do you really have to remove the cross bar to change the belt ?, not only that but my steering rack looks pretty dam close to ;)

What about jacking up the engine? Slightly <_< or would this be a NoNo!!

Regards

Guy

I sorted it, using a small crow bar, levered the engine backwards whist pushing down on belt

There is an extension of the chassis close to the engine on the left side, used that

Job done

Cheers

Edited by Jersey Royal

Guy,

thanks for the fan belt replacement technique.

I've just come from trying my belt out (on a 4A) by loosening the LH engine mount and lifting the engine with the block and tackle.

your method sounds far superior, and requires less clobber. The steering rack fan extension clearance is the problem.

Looks like all the 'design talent' was used to do the body.

And the noise, Guy?

John

Good Morning John,

I had to redo a couple of electrical connectors that came apart whilst i was moving alternator.

Anyway, Good Call, the noise has gone , silent ....:rolleyes: Cheers

I also cleaned the inside surfaces of the pulleys.

Thanks Again

GUY

Edited by Jersey Royal

Hi Guy,

whatever you do don't use a 3 foot long lumber jack axe on the hard shoulder of the M3 motorway in broad daylight to change

your fan belt - the police will home in on you in seconds and ask questions.

This happened to one of our group members last year - honest.

Roger

Hi Guy,

whatever you do don't use a 3 foot long lumber jack axe on the hard shoulder of the M3 motorway in broad daylight to change

your fan belt - the police will home in on you in seconds and ask questions.

This happened to one of our group members last year - honest.

Roger

Roger,

Funny thing is , if you do have a belt go on you, and your on a maotorway or middle of no where, in the pitch black.

Unless you have a torch and small pry bar, youll be calling the Rac or AA.

If you dont have a spare belt, your stuffed anyway. :blink:

Dont know how good a pair of stockings would work, and thats if your other half has some :lol:

Cheers

Guy

Hi Guy,

I had a fan belt go in the 70's. AA didn't have a spare and did action the old tights/stockings get you out of trouble trick - and it worked.

Interesting, the style of stockings that AA mechanics wore in those days, now it's all thongs - no use to anybody.

Roger