Any tr6's for restoration for sale?

I am new to the TR6 forum, I have been longing for a tr6 for a long time and have just finished my garage, and of course now i need something to do in it!. I would appreciate any advice that can be given to me regarding sourcing a car and whether to steer clear of left hand drive cars for converting to right hand drive. I think it is probably quite important to get things right from the start. Thanks for any advice posted it may lift the current confusion. :huh:

Welcome to the forum!

A wealth of info available on here - also a good place to start is to join the Register! Going along to your local friendly group meeting for all sorts of TR chat, have a look at the cars and I am sure there will be plenty of face to face advice as well!

Good luck!

Brgds

Edited by ianhoward
I am new to the TR6 forum, I have been longing for a tr6 for a long time and have just finished my garage, and of course now i need something to do in it!. I would appreciate any advice that can be given to me regarding sourcing a car and whether to steer clear of left hand drive cars for converting to right hand drive. I think it is probably quite important to get things right from the start. Thanks for any advice posted it may lift the current confusion. :huh:

Try this

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C73287

Hello and welcome. :rolleyes:

It depends what you want when you're finished and how much work you want to do...

Do you want a car to drive - get one with carbs

Do you want one to make you tear your hair out - get a PI model :P

For ultimate resale value if the car is in tiptop condition - a numbers-matching UK car. For an average condition car I suspect the condition and spec is far more important.

Want originality? There are some very low-mileage cars around - this is a good site.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/list/41/

Or more interested in performance?

If the latter you could do worse than this for instance

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...IT&viewitem=

(it didn't sell)

Main thing, in my view - buy one that isn't rusty, because that can really run away with your cash. Then you can do whatever you want with it.

I assume of course that you've driven one? Be a shame to spend a long time on a rebuild then decide you didn't actually like the car... You may laugh, but there was a concours competitor at Malvern this year who said to me that he was going to sell his 6 because he didn't enjoy driving it - only three years on the rebuild... :(

Whatever you decide, hope you enjoy it.

Ivor

A good place to start is with this book, I happen to have a surplus copy yours for £10 including postage ;)

A big warning it costs more in time and money to rebuild a car than to find a completed restoration, which being of English automotive origines will still require a spanner waved over it at regular intervals.

Welcome to the forum.

As Ian stated it would be a good idea to join the TR Register - this could give you access to some insider dealing - member to member contact can be very rewarding.

Where is your area. The TRR has local groups all over the UK & NI and the world.

As Ivor and Eyetee state any work required will cost money - the usual formulea for cost is any work carried out will cost 3 times more than the value added to the car.

Have a good look around ask lots of questions, get expert advice (not the garage selling the car)

Best of luck

Welcome to the forum , As has been said the cost of any resto will far outweigh the value of a car . For example my car below cost about 19k in parts , plus the original purchase price . I have advertised it for sale and will be lucky to get 10500 for it . Ivor has ahd some grief with his PI but dont let him put you off ;) I had my PI system overhauled completely in 01 and it is nothing but reliable and starts first time even after a couple of months lay up.

How big a resto job do you want ? I also have for sale a tax exempt 150bhp Tr6 for a brave rebuild . it is a matching numbers UK car with history / mot / receipts and pictures back to 1976 . It is stripped to its compnent parts so bravery only. :lol:

For the regulars- I have a bit of a hand disability which is preventing me from doing much with my cars and also driving so am getting rid of most of my collection .

Good luck with your search

Hi, Scotty,

I am sorry to hear of about your hand. I hope it is only a temporary issue and you will back to full health soon.

Your TR6 looks as good as the last time I saw it and even in this current financial climate, you should have no problem selling it.

All the best Phil

Thanks for your advice, I am interested in your book, how do I go about paying you?. I have already ordered a Practical classics restoration book as well. Also I am now looking at a restored vehicle as I see that restoration can be very costly, and time may be a problem. I have downloaded the buyer beware guide and some other info off the net to help me make the right choices, have you any other advice on what to look for when buying.

Thanks again for your advice.

...have you any other advice on what to look for when buying.

The book contains extensive info on that subject.

There is also a companion volume on Improving your TR, which can usually be found on eBay.

Agree that as regards time & cost buying a restored car is the way to go - however, I would take someone knowledgeable with you, as there is restoration and 'restoration' and it's annoying to pay a premium for a shiny bodge. Bodging of course can be deliberate or inadvertent, it's not always done to deceive but the end result is the same. <_< Best to buy from someone who has used a decent quality of pilchard tin for patching the bodywork, some only use the tin of the sardine :blink:

Ivor