CV half shafts

Has anyone fitted the NORD CV 300 bhp half shafts from Moss.(hope it gives my car 300bhp!!!!)

I bought a pair last year and have fitted one today but I'm unsure about the torque setting on the shaft nut. Does anybody know?

It also seems strange that each side is the same i.e. thread direction-I always thought there should be an off side and near side version.

Thank for reading

Rob

Hello Rob,

This may be irrelevant but the torque setting on the standard hub nut is listed as 120 lbft - about as tight as it can get. I would imagine a similar spec for your uprated units, but I would check with Moss first.

Regards

AndyP

Hi Rob

Should be 270-300n/m or around 200 - 215lb/ft. Yes that's right, not a miss-print! I guess that they have to be this tight because they are not "Handed" as you point out. I'm yet to pop by my local garage to borrow their biggest Torque wrench!

If you look on the TR Nord site http://www.tr-nord.de/ and click on Technik, there are fitting instructions. Whoops - in German, of course! Luckily I'm a speaker, and I can assure you that's what it says.

There is a register member in Norway with a website detailing the whole procedure with translation into English. His name is Martti Ojanen, and was very helpful when I was looking at doing the CV halfshafts. Here's a link: http://www.kolumbus.fi/triumph.tr6pi/broken.htm

Best

Dave

Nothing wrong with railway engineering, Dave - I've had a few ribbings over the years about the chunk of metalwork holding up the roof at the rear of my single-storey garage. It's a 6 metre length of railway line from the old "Slow & Dirty" - Somerset and Dorset railway.

All sarcastic observers I refer to my good mate 'Big Malcolm the Farmer', who many years ago cheerfully lifted the 6 metres of railway line single-handed and chucked it onto 2.3 metre high breezeblock pillars. Strange to say, no one has ever taken up the opportunity to take the mick out of 'Big Malc'. Mind you, I've yet to meet anyone else who can chuck 6 metre lengths of railway line anywhere, let alone up in the air . . . :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Alec

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm! railway engineering-just up my street-fond memories of GWR age of steam just down the road.(My dad was a fireman & driver-he doesn't understand the nostalgia bit)

215 lbs/ft - an interesting experience. I didn't think I was going to make it then "click" it was there (on each rear drive shaft or was it my back?).

Car passed its MOT today with new hubs and 1/2 shafts sucessfully fitted but at one point I thought I had ruined them. Having removed the wheel studs from the original hubs I carefully hammered them into the new ones (off the car). In hindsight not the way to do it.

When I fitted the wheels, shock horror, the degree of play in the hubs was horrendous - I convinced myself that I had damaged the new bearings with my rough approach to installing the wheel studs.

Together with words of encouragement from Martti Ojanen (from Finland) and advice from my local garage it turns out that the knocking about had dislodged the hub parts and all that was required was the full 215lbs/ft torque on the drive shaft nuts. It pulled everything back as it should have been and to my great relief the wheels spun quietly and true. (Having forked out £950 to Moss for them it was great relief indeed)

Many thanks to Martti for his help and for putting together his TR6 website in English.

Phew!

Rob