Lucas electronic distributor.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same setup on an '80 TR7. There is a 47DM4 and a 47DE4. My understanding is that the DE4 requires no external amp. The DM4 has 2 wires that go from the pickup to the Lucas AB14 Ignition Amp. From the opposite side of the amp there are two wires that go back to each side of the coil. The mounting screw for the AB14 also serves as an earth connection.

I have had a new Lucas 47 DM4 distributor sent from the USA.

The unit that I have has a separate amplifier but the one in the haynes book has a built in unit.

Can anybody shed light on the wiring?

I have a AB14 (47268A) Lucas external amp.

Update - Basically the notes I received when I fitted the amp\distributor & slimmed down the instructions.

The amplifier receives the negative 12v supply through its casing so it must be fixed to a part of the car which is earthed.

The 12v ignition supply connects to the plain white wire to power the electronics inside it. (the positive side of the ignition coil may be supplied through a ballast resistor on your vehicle so its probably best to take power from the battery side of the resistor so you get the full 12 volts.

The negative side of the ignition coil then connects to the white/black wire from the amplifier. The switching current then comes from the white/black amplifier wire. Then just plug the cable in from the distributor to the amplifier so the distributor can control what the amplifier sends to the coil.

Use strobe light to reset the engine timing.

The only thing left to add was that we didnt swap the original weights over on the distributor & this caused it to overheat on the M5 badly weakening the head gasket (now deceased). Fitting the original weights (& retightening down the head) brought a difference of 6 degree's, requiring retiming to be done.

Edited by Rassilon